Professor Andrew Burrows
QC (Hon), LLM, MA, DCL, FBA
Senior Research Fellow since 2010
Professor of the Law of England, University of Oxford
Andrew Burrows has been continuing work on a major project to restate the English Law of Contract. He is assisted by an advisory group of judges, academics, and practitioners. He has given papers at conferences in Oxford, Cambridge, and London and delivered public lectures in London and Trinity College, Dublin. He has been involved in the Oxford-Burma/Myanmar law programme and taught an intensive course at Yangon University. He was elected Vice-President of the Society of Legal Scholars (2014-15), was awarded a DCL in 2014, and in 2015 was made an Honorary Fellow of Brasenose College.
- Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 2010)
- Norton Rose Professor of Commercial Law, University of Oxford and Professorial Fellow, St Hugh’s College (from 1999 to 2010)
- Law Commissioner for England and Wales; Professor of English Law, University College, London (from 1994 to 1999)
- CUF Lecturer in Law and Tutorial Fellow, Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford (from 1986 to 1994)
- Lecturer in Law, University of Manchester (from 1981 to 1986)
- Postgraduate, Harvard Law School, Harvard, USA (from 1980 to 1981)
- Stipendiary Lecturer in Law, Merton College, Oxford (from 1979 to 1980)
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate, Brasenose College, Oxford (from 1975 to 1979)
- Law of unjust enrichment and restitution
- Law of contract
- Law of obligations
- Law reform
- (Ed., with Johnston and Zimmermann) Judge and Jurist: Essays in Memory of Lord Rodger of Earlsferry (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013).
- A Restatement of the English Law of Unjust Enrichment (assisted by an Advisory Group, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012).
- The Law of Restitution (1st edn., 1993; 2nd edn., 2002; 3rd edn., 2011, Oxford: Oxford University Press). Joint winner of the 1993 SPTL Prize for Outstanding Legal Scholarship.
- (with Beatson and Cartwright), Anson’s Law of Contract (29th edn., Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010).
- Remedies for Torts and Breach of Contract (1st edn., 1986; 2nd edn., 1994; 3rd edn., 2004, Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- A Casebook on Contract (1st edn., 2007; 2nd edn., 2009; 3rd edn., 2011; 4th edn., 2013, Oxford: Hart Publishing).
- Fusing Common Law and Equity: Remedies, Restitution and Reform (Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell Asia, 2002).
- Understanding the Law of Obligations: Essays on Contract, Tort and Restitution (Oxford: Hart Publishing, 1998).
- (with McKendrick and Edelman), Cases and Materials on the Law of Restitution (1st edn., 1997; 2nd edn., 2007, Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- Link to publications
Other professional memberships and roles
- President of the Society of Legal Scholars (from 2015 to 2016)
- Vice-President of the Society of Legal Scholars
(from 2014 to 2015)
- Chair of the British Board of Film Classification’s Video Appeals Committee (from 2011)
- Member of the Morgan Stanley/Daily Telegraph 'Great Britons' Public Life Judging Panel (from 2006 to 2008)
- Chair of the Islip Sports Association (from 2006)
- Deputy High Court Judge (from 2007)
- Editorial Board, University of Queensland Law Journal (from 2004)
- Member, Judicial Studies Board (from 2001 to 2003)
- Lecturer, Judicial Studies Board Civil Continuation Course (from 2000 to 2009)
- Honorary Bencher of the Middle Temple (from 2000)
- Recorder (from 1998)
- Ogden Working Party (from 1997)
- Advisory Group, Hungarian Civil Code (from 1999 to 2002)
- Chair, Wildlife Conservation Trust (from 1994)
- Editorial Board, Tort Law Review (from 1993)
- Specialist Legal Consultant, New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (from 1991 to 1993)
- Door Tenant at Fountain Court Chambers (1989)
- Called to the Bar (from 1985)
- Lord Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Legal Education (from 1983 to 1985)
Research awards and grants
- Harkness Fellow (from 1980 to 1981).
- Martin Wronker Prize for the best result in Law Finals (1978).