Professor Susanne Bobzien
MA, DPhil, FBA
Senior Research Fellow since 2013
Professor of Philosophy, University of Oxford
- Professor of Philosophy, then Senior Research Scholar (since 2010), Yale University (from 2002 to 2013)
- CUF Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Oxford (from 1993 to 2002)
- Official Fellow and Praelector in Philosophy, The Queen’s College, Oxford (from 1990 to 2002)
- Tutor and Fellow in Philosophy, Balliol College, Oxford (from 1989 to 1990)
- Postgraduate student, University of Oxford (from 1987 to 1993)
- History of philosophy: ancient logic and ancient theories of determinism and freedom
- Contemporary philosophy: philosophy of logic and language, with a focus on vagueness and paradoxes
- 'Higher-order Vagueness and Borderline Nestings - A Persistent Confusion', Analytic Philosophy 54.1 (2013), 1-43.
- 'Paradoxes of Presupposition in Antiquity', Logical Analysis and History of Philosophy 15 (2012), 159-84.
- 'The Combinatorics of Stoic Conjunction', Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy 40 (2011), 157-88.
- 'In Defense of True Higher-Order Vagueness', Synthese 180 (2011), 317-35.
- 'Higher-order Vagueness, Radical Unclarity, and Absolute Agnosticism', Philosophers' Imprint 10, No. 10, (2010), 1-30.
- Determinism and Freedom in Stoic Philosophy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998).
- Publications (External Link)
Other professional memberships and roles
- Member, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton (2008-9)
- Member of the Advisory or Editorial Boards for:
Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy
Journal of the History of Philosophy (Book Review)
History and Philosophy of Logic
Revue de Philosophie Ancienne
Rhizomata: A Journal for Ancient Philosophy and Science
Editorial Panel: Thought: A Journal of Philosophy
Research awards and grants
- Fellowship of the National Endowment for the Humanities (from 2008 to 2009)
- Research Grant, Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (from 2008 to 2009)
- British Academy Research Readership (from 2000 to 2002)