Professor Christopher Wickham
MA, DPhil, FBA
University Academic Fellow since 2005
Chichele Professor of Medieval History
My Roma medievale appeared with Viella Libreria Editrice in Rome in October 2013, and will come out in English with Oxford University Press in Autumn 2014. I have also finished a book provisionally titled Rethinking the Origin of City Communes in Italy, 1050-1150, based on the Lawrence Stone lectures given at Princeton in May, which will also come out at the end of the year, with Princeton University Press. My next projects are a general book on medieval Europe for Yale, and, further in the future, a book on the eleventh-century Mediterranean.
- Senior Lecturer (1987), Reader (1988), and from 1995 Professor of Early Medieval History, University of Birmingham (from 1997 to 2005)
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate, Keble College, Oxford (from 1968 to 1975)
- Medieval Italy, c.400-1250, with a regional focus on Tuscany and on central Italy more generally
- Early medieval Europe and the Mediterranean
- Currently working on the development of Rome in the period c.900-1200
- The Inheritance of Rome: A History of Europe from 400 to 1000 (London: Allen Lane, 2009).
- Framing the Early Middle Ages: Europe and the Mediterranean 400-800 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005).
- Legge, pratiche e conflitti. La risoluzione delle dispute nella Toscana del XII secolo (Rome: Libreria Editrice Viella, 2000). Translated into English as Courts and conflict in twelfth-century Tuscany (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003).
- Comunità e clientele nella Toscana del XII secolo (Rome: Viella, 1995). Translated as Community and Clientele (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1998) and Communautés et clientèles (Rennes: Association d'histoire des sociétés rurales, 2001).
- The Mountains and the City (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1988; Italian translation: Turin, 1997).
- (with J.W. Fentress), Social Memory (Oxford: Blackwell, 1992).
- Land and Power in Early Medieval Europe (London: British School at Rome, 1994).
- Early Medieval Italy (London: Macmillan, 1981; Italian translation: Milan, 1982).
Other professional memberships and roles
- Accademia dei Lincei