Professor Christopher Wickham
MA, DPhil, FBA
Emeritus Fellow since 2016
Chichele Professor of Medieval History
My research focusses on medieval social history, extending one way to economic history and archaeology, the other way to cultural history and political action. I am interested in the way societies work and change as systems, and in how people deal with that change. My next projects are a general book on medieval Europe for Yale, and then a book on the eleventh-century Mediterranean.
Contact: chris.wickham at all-souls.ox.ac.uk
- University Academic Fellow, All Souls College (from 2005)
- Senior Lecturer (1987), Reader (1988), and from 1995 Professor of Early Medieval History, University of Birmingham (from 1997 to 2005)
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate, Keble College, Oxford (from 1968 to 1975)
- Medieval Italy, c.400-1250, with a regional focus on Tuscany and on central Italy more generally
- Early medieval Europe and the Mediterranean
- Gossip, memory, oral culture, legal practice
- History and archaeology
- Sleepwalking into a new world (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2015).
- Roma medievale (Rome: Viella, 2013) = Medieval Rome (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- The Inheritance of Rome: A History of Europe from 400 to 1000 (London: Allen Lane, 2009).
- Framing the Early Middle Ages: Europe and the Mediterranean 400-800 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005).
- Legge, pratiche e conflitti. La risoluzione delle dispute nella Toscana del XII secolo (Rome: Libreria Editrice Viella, 2000). Translated into English as Courts and conflict in twelfth-century Tuscany (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003).
- Comunità e clientele nella Toscana del XII secolo (Rome: Viella, 1995). Translated as Community and Clientele (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1998) and Communautés et clientèles (Rennes: Association d'histoire des sociétés rurales, 2001).
- The Mountains and the City (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1988; Italian translation: Turin, 1997).
- (with J.W. Fentress), Social Memory (Oxford: Blackwell, 1992).
- Land and Power in Early Medieval Europe (London: British School at Rome, 1994).
- Early Medieval Italy (London: Macmillan, 1981; Italian translation: Milan, 1982).
Other professional memberships and roles
- Académie royale de Belgique
- Keble College (Honorary fellow)
- Accademia dei Lincei