Professor Andrew Wilkinson
MB ChB, MA, DCH, FRCP, FRCPCH (Hon)
Emeritus Fellow since 2011
Professor Emeritus of Paediatrics and Perinatal Medicine
Emeritus Consultant and Director of Neonatal Medicine, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
I am currently carrying out a review of the biographies and obituaries of all the Fellows of All Souls who have been qualified in the practice of medicine. I am a Board member of the National Neonatal Audit Programme (NNAP) www.rcpch.ac.uk/nnap, and the Neonatal Data Analysis Unit (NDAU) www.imperial.ac.uk/ndau and the International member of the Vermont Oxford Network Advisory Board www.vtOxford.org. I work on various research steering and data monitoring committees and with ophthalmologists in the UK and abroad on research into improvements in screening and treatment of blinding Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP).
- Clinical Reader in paediatrics, University of Oxford (from 1992 to 1997)
- Consultant Paediatrician, Oxfordshire Health Authority (from 1981 to 1992)
- Clinical Lecturer in paediatrics, University of Oxford (from 1978 to 1981)
- Fellow, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, USA (from 1975 to 1977)
- Nuffield Medical Research Fellow, University of Oxford (from 1974 to 1975)
- Senior House Officer in paediatrics at: Great Ormond Street Hospital and Oxford. Registrar, Southampton (from 1973 to 1974)
- Senior House Officer and Registrar in medicine, Dudley Road Hospital, Birmingham, King Edward V11 Hospital, Warwick and Stratford-upon-Avon (from 1970 to 1972)
- House Officer in paediatrics, Warwick Hospital (from 1969 to 1970)
- House Officer in medicine and surgery, Dudley Road Hospital, Birmingham (from 1968 to 1969)
- University of Birmingham Medical School (to 1968)
- Clinical neurodevelopmental research, particularly in newborn babies
- Painter SL, Wilkinson AR, Goldacre MJ, Patel CK. 'Incidence and treatment of retinopathy of prematurity in England between 1990 and 2011: Hospital Episode Statistics database study'. Brit J Ophth, 2015 (in press).
- Jiang ZD, Wilkinson AR. 'Impaired function of the auditory brainstem in term neonates with hyperbilirubinemia'. Brain & Development 36 (2014), pages 212–218.
- Lewandowski AJ, Augustine D, Lamata P, Davis EF, Lazdam M, Francis J, McCormick K, Wilkinson A, Singhal A, Lucas A, Smith N, Neubauer S, Leeson P. 'Preterm heart in adult life: cardiovascular magnetic resonance reveals distinct differences in left ventricular mass, geometry and function'. Circulation 2013; 127, pages 197–206.
- Jiang ZD, Zhou Y, Ping LL, Wilkinson AR. 'Brainstem auditory response findings in late preterm infants in intensive care unit'. Acta Paediatr 2011; 100: e51-4.
- Acolet D†, Allen E, Houston R, Costeloe K, Elbourne D, Wilkinson AR, 'Improvements in NICU care: a cluster randomised controlled trial of Active Dissemination of Information'. Arch Dis Child – Fetal Neonatal Ed 2011; 96.
- Wilkinson AR, Ahluwalia J, Cole A, Crawford D, Fyle J, Gordon A, Moorcraft J, Pollard T, Roberts T. 'The Management of Babies born Extremely Preterm at less than 26 weeks of gestation. A Framework for Clinical Practice at the time of Birth'. Arch Dis Child - Fetal Neonatal Ed 2009;94: F2-5.
- Wilkinson AR, Haines L, Head K, Fielder AR. 'UK Retinopathy of Prematurity Guideline'. Early Human Development 2008, 84: 71-74.
- Birtles DB, Braddick OJ, Wattam-Bell J, Atkinson J, Wilkinson AR. 'Orientation and motion-specific visual cortex responses in infants born preterm'. NeuroReports 2007, 18: 1975-1979.
- Bodeau-Livinec F, Surman G, Kaminski M, Wilkinson AR. 'Recent trends in visual impairment and blindness in the UK'. Arch Dis Child. 2007, 92: 1099-1104.
- Wilkinson AR, Brosi DM, Jiang ZD. 'Functional impairment of the brainstem in infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia'. Pediatrics 2007, 120: 362-371.
- Wood NS, Costeloe K, Gibson AT, Hennessy EM, Marlow N, Wilkinson AR. EPICure Study Group. 'The EPICure study: associations and antecedents of neurological and developmental disability at 30 months of age following extremely preterm birth'. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2005 Mar; 90(2): F134-140.
- Lucey JF, Rowan CA, Shiono P, Wilkinson AR, Kilpatrick S, Payne NR, Horbar J, Carpenter J, Rogowski J, Soll RF. 'Fetal infants: the fate of 4172 infants with birth weights of 401 to 500 grams - the Vermont Oxford Network experience (1996-2000)'. Pediatrics 2004; 113: 1559-1566.
- de Silva GDI, Justice A, Wilkinson AR, Buttery J, Herbert M, Day N.P.J, Peacock S.J. 'Genetic Population Structure of Coagulase-Negative Staphylococci Associated with Carriage and Disease in Preterm Infants'. Clinical Infectious Disease 2001; 33: 1520-8.
- Wood N. S, Marlow N, Costeloe K, Gibson A.T, Wilkinson AR. 'Neurologic and developmental disability after extremely preterm birth', New Engl J Med 2000, 343: 378-84.
Other professional memberships and roles
- Trustee, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals Charitable Funds (from 2005)
- Trustee, Helen and Douglas House Hospice, Oxford (from 2003)
- President, Neonatal Society, Hon 2011 (from 2003 to 2006)
- President, British Association of Perinatal Medicine, Hon 2011 (from 1992 to 2002)
- 1942 Club
- Hon Secretary and Chair, Academic Board, RCPCH (from 1983 to 1989)
- Honorary Fellow, RCPCH 2010. Sir James Spence Medallists, 2011 (from 2010 to 2011)
- Knight, 1st Class, Order of the White Rose of Finland, SVR R1 (from 2003)
Research awards and grants
- Research supported by Wellcome Trust, WellChild, Action Medical, BLISS, Deafness Research UK
Teaching and Supervision
- Medical students
- Advanced nurses
- Graduate research supervision