Early Printed Collections
The pre-1800 collections at All Souls are rich in almost every area by virtue of its sheer size. As may be expected, it has many early editions of Roman and canon law, theology, and medical works, mainly from the Old Library collections built up from the College's foundation until the bequest from Christopher Codrington (1710). The building of the new Library, the arrival of books from Codrington's own collection, and the books acquired by his agents purchasing throughout Europe with the money he left caused the collections to grow extensively in size, and to become more diverse. Many books were bought second hand, and the bindings and inscriptions reflect their varied histories before they arrived in the Codrington.
For access, please see: Special Collections