Dr Martin Litchfield West
OM, MA, DPhil, DLitt, FBA
His later research was focused on producing a new critical edition of the Odyssey in the Teubner series, to complement his edition of the Iliad (1998–2000).
- Honorary Fellow, All Souls College (from 2014 to 2015)
- Emeritus Fellow, All Souls College (from 2004 to 2014)
- Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 1991 to 2004)
- Professor of Greek, Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, University of London (from 1974 to 1991)
- Fellow and Praelector in Classics, University College, Oxford (from 1963 to 1974)
- Junior Research Fellow, St John’s College, Oxford (from 1960 to 1963)
- Undergraduate, Balliol College, Oxford (from 1955 to 1959)
- Ancient Greek language, literature, and music
- Indo-European poetry and myth
- Early Zoroastrianism
- Hellenica, 3 vols. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011–13).
- The Making of the Iliad (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011).
- The Making of the Odyssey (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- The Hymns of Zoroaster (London: I. B. Tauris 2010).
- Indo-European Poetry and Myth (New York: Oxford University Press, 2007).
- (with E. Pöhlmann) Documents of Ancient Greek Music (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001).
- Homeri Ilias, 2 vols (Stutgardiae: B.G. Teubner, 1998; Monachii: K.G. Saur, 2000).
- The East Face of Helicon (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997).
- Publications (PDF)
Other professional memberships and roles
- Honorary Doctorate, University of Urbino (2011)
- International Member of the American Philosophical Society (2010)
- Fellow of the Academy of Athens (2009)
- Honorary Doctorate, University of Cyprus (2008)
- Foreign Member, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (2007)
- MAE (1998)
- Corresponding Member, Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Göttingen (1991)
Research awards and grants
- Kenyon Medal for Classical Studies, British Academy (2002)
- International Balzan Prize for Classical Antiquity (2000)