Professor Tony Honoré
QC, BCL, DCL, LLD (Hon), FBA
Honorary Fellow since 2008
Honorary Fellow, New College, Oxford
My research interests lie in Roman legal history, especially that of the Roman jurists; Trust Law in South Africa and other civil law or mixed jurisdictions; legal philosophy, especially questions of responsibility; and comparative law.
- Honorary Fellow, All Souls College (from 2008)
- Emeritus Fellow, All Souls College (from 1989 to 2008)
- Regius Professor of Civil Law, University of Oxford and Fellow of All Souls (from 1971 to 1989)
- Fellow, New College, Oxford (from 1964 to 1970)
- Fellow, The Queen’s College, Oxford (from 1949 to 1964)
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate, New College (Rhodes Scholar, 1949), Oxford (from 1940 to 1949)
- Problems of responsibility that arise out of his work with H.L.A. Hart on Causation
- Roman Law
- Responsibility and Fault (Portland, OR: Hart Publishing, 1999).
- Law in the Crisis of Empire (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998).
- About Law: An Introduction (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1995).
- Ulpian (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1982; 2nd edn, New York: Oxford University Press, 2002).
- The Quest for Security: Employees, Tenants, Wives (London: Stevens, 1982).
- Emperors and Lawyers (London: Duckworth, 1981; 2nd edn., Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1994).
- (with J. Menner), Concordance to the Digest Jurists (Oxford: OMP, 1980).
- Sex Law (London: Duckworth, 1978).
- Tribonian (London: Duckworth, 1978).
- The South African Law of Trusts (Cape Town: Juta, 1965; 5th edn. 2002).
- Gaius (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1962).
- (with H.L.A. Hart), Causation in the Law (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959; 2nd edn. 1985).
Teaching and supervision
Other professional memberships and roles
- Member, International Academy of Comparative Law (1994)
- Member, Accademia Costantiniana (1994)
Research awards and grants
- Honorary Citizen, San Ginesio, Italy (2004).
- Honorary Fellow, Harris Manchester College (2000).