Professor Peter Mathias
CBE, FBA, DLitt
10 January 1928 - 1 March 2016
- Emeritus Fellow, All Souls College (from 1987 to 2016)
- Master, Downing College, Cambridge (from 1987 to 1995)
- Chichele Professor of Economic History and Fellow, All Souls College (from 1969 to 1987)
- Assistant Lecturer then Lecturer Faculty of History and Director of Studies in History and Fellow, Queens' College, Cambridge (from 1955 to 1968)
- Research Fellow, Jesus College, Cambridge (from 1952 to 1955)
- Economic history
- Why the West Won? (Naples, 2010).
- Convivere con i vicini (Rome: Luisse, 2008).
- L'idea di Europa (Naples: La Scuola Di Pitagora, 2009).
- (ed.), History of Mankind, vol. VI (Paris: UNESCO, 2008).
- Cinque Lezioni di teoria e storia dello sviluppo economico (Naples, 2009).
- L'Economia Britannica dal 1815 al 1914 (Milan: Einaudi, 1994).
- The Transformation of England (London: Methuen, 1979).
- The First Industrial Nation (London: Methuen, 1967; 1983).
- Retailing Revolution - a History of Multiple Retailing in the Food Trades (London: Longman, 1967).
- Engish Trade Tokens (London: Abelard Schuman, 1962).
- The Brewing Industry in England 1700-1830 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1959).
Other professional memberships and roles
- Trustee and Member Council, GB Saskawa Foundation (Chairman, 1997-2005; President, 2006-) (1994-)
- International Institute of Economic History Francesco Datini, Prato (Member, Executive Committee, 1972-99; Comitato d'Honore, 1999-)
- Member, Academia Europaea (1989)
- Honorary President, International Economic History Association (1978-)
Research awards and grants
- Order of the Rising Sun with Gold Rays (from 2003).