Professor Catherine Redgwell
BA (Hons), LLB, MSc
University Academic Fellow since 2013
Chichele Professor of Public International Law
My research interests fall broadly within the public international field, including international energy law and international environmental law. I am currently co-investigator in a cross-institutional two year (2012-2014) research project on Climate Geoengineering Governance (CGG) funded by the ESRC and AHRC, led from the Oxford Institute for Science, Innovation and Society.
- University Academic Fellow, All Souls College (from 2013)
- Professor of International Law, University College London (from 2004 to 2013)
- University Lecturer (until 2000), then Reader in Public International Law and Yamani Fellow in Law, St Peter's College, Oxford (from 1999 to 2003)
- Senior Lecturer in Law, University of Nottingham (from 1994 to 1999)
- Lecturer in Law, University of Nottingham (from 1990 to 1994)
- Lecturer in Law, University of Manchester (from 1987 to 1990)
- Postgraduate, London School of Economics (from 1984 to 1985)
- Articled Clerk, Ladner Downs (now Borden Ladner Gervais LLP) (from 1984 to 1985)
- Postgraduate, University of British Columbia, Canada (from 1981 to 1984)
- Undergraduate, University of Winnipeg, Canada (from 1978 to 1981)
- Public international law, in particular international environmental law and international energy law
- (with L. Rajamani), 'Energy Underground: What’s International Law Got To Do With It?' in D. Zillman, A. McHarg, L. Barrera-Hernandez and A. Bradbrook (eds.), Energy Underground: Innovative Law and Policy for Transformative Technologies (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- 'The Wrong Trousers: State Responsibility and International Environmental Law' , in P. Koutrakos and M Evans (eds.), The International Responsibility of the European Union – European and International Perspectives (Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2013), pages 257-274.
- 'Geoengineering the Climate: Technological Solutions to Mitigation Failure or Continuing Carbon Addiction?', Carbon and Climate Law Review, 17(2012), pages 178-189.
- (with M. Bowman and P. Davies), Lyster's International Wildlife Law (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition, 2010).
- (with P.Birnie and A. Boyle) International Law & the Environment (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 3rd edition, 2009).
- 'International Energy Law', in M. Roggenkamp, C. Redgwell, I. del Guayo and A. Ronne (eds.), Energy Law in Europe: National EU and International Regulation (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2nd edition, 2007; 3rd edition, forthcoming).
Other professional memberships and roles
- Joint Editor, British Year Book of International Law
- Co-Editor, Oxford Monographs in International Law
- Member, International Bar Association Presidential Task Force on Climate Change Justice and Human Rights
- Member, Academic Advisory Group, Section on Energy, Environment, Infrastructure and Natural Resources Law of the International Bar Association
- Council Member, British Branch of the International Law Association
- Member, Public International Law Advisory Committee, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Member, EuTrace Project Advisory Board, European Trans-disciplinary Assessment of Climate Engineering
- Co-Director, Oxford Geoengineering Programme, Oxford Martin School
Research awards and grants
- Co-investigator (at UCL) in a cross-institutional two year research project on Climate Geoengineering Governance (CGG) funded by the ESRC and AHRC with the Universities of Oxford and Sussex. ((from 2012 to 2014)).