Dr Claudio Sopranzetti
BA, MA, PhD
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow since 2013
My research interests sit at the nexus of theorisations of capitalism, urbanism, and social movements. In particular, I am concluding an ethnographic project on urban mediators and political participation in contemporary Thailand while beginning a new exploration on African traders in Southeast Asia and responses to the economic crisis in Italy.
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 2013)
- Post-Graduate, Harvard University (from 2006 to 2013)
- Undergraduate, University of Rome, ‘La Sapienza’ (from 2003 to 2005)
- Social anthropology
- Urbanism and social movements in the global south
- Thai studies
- Politics of everyday life
- History of capitalism
- Awakened: an Ethnographic Graphic Novel, under negotiation with University of Toronto Press.
- The Owners of the Map: Motorcycle Taxis Drivers, Mobility, and Politics in Bangkok, University of California Press, 2017.
- Red Journeys: Into the Thai Red Shirt Movement University of Washington Press and Silkworm Books, 2012 (reviewed in Anthropological Quarterly [86: 2, 635-640], Journal of Contemporary Asia [43:2, 381-383], Bangkok Post [May 18 2012], Prachatai [February 23 2013]).
- The Tightening Authoritarian Grip on Thailand, Current History, Vol.116, No.791, 2017.
- Framed by Freedom: Emancipation and Oppression in post-Fordist Thailand, Cultural Anthropology, Vol.32, No.1, 2017.
- Thailand’s Relapse: The Implications of the May 2014 Coup, Journal of Asian Studies, Vol.75, No.2, 2016.
- Political Legitimacy in Thailand, Cultural Anthropology Hot Spot, 2014.
- Introduction to Thailand Hot Spot, Cultural Anthropology Hot Spot, 2014 (co-edited with Eli Elinoff, Felicity Aulino, and Ben Tausig).
- The Owners of the Map: Motorcycle Taxi Drivers and Time/Space Decompression in Thai Street Protests, City and Society, Vol.26, No.1 (2014) – Awarded the 2012 SUNTA Graduate Essay Prize.
- (Im)mobilizing Bangkok, Anthropology News, Vol.54, No.4, 2013.
- Provincilizing Bangkok: Isan from 'not yet' to 'now', South East Asia Research, Vol.20, No.3, 2012 (co-edited with Eli Elinoff).
- Burning Red Desires: Isan Migrants and the Politics of Desire in Contemporary Thailand, South East Asia Research, Vol.20, No.3 2012.
- Angkor Wat: Restoration Practices and Symbolic Uses, Meridiana, Vol.56, No.1, 2010 (in Italian).
- Cars and Carts: Marketing, Circulation, and Fluidity in Bangkok's Central Business District, International Journal of Thai Studies, Vol.23, No.1, 2009.
- Mass Politics and Red Shirts, editor, The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Thailand, Routledge, forthcoming.
- Competing Powers: Thai politics since 1932, Pavin Chachavalpongpun, ed. Coup, King, Crisis: Thailand's Troubled Politics and the Royal Succession, Stanford University Press, forthcoming.
- Mobilizing and Immobilizing the City, Setha Low, ed. Routledge Handbook of Anthropology and the City: Engaging the Urban and its Future, Routledge, forthcoming.
- The Politics of Simplification, Richard Sennet, ed., Designing Politics: The Limits of Design, LSE, 2016.
- Stanley Tambiah, John McGee and Richard Warms, eds. Theory in Social and Cultural Anthropology: An Encyclopedia. SAGE Publishers, Sage Publications, 2013.
- From Love to Fear: the Rise of King Vajiralongkorn, Al-Jazeera, 11th April 2017.
- Will Bangkok Prove Greater than Those who Would Remake It?, Khaosod, 14th April 2017.
- Thailand Under the Junta: Paranoia and Conspiracy, Al-Jazeera, 22nd July 2014.
- Review of Gramsci’s Common Sense: Inequality and its Narratives by Kate Crehan, Anthropological Quarterly, Vol.90, No.4, 2017.
- Review of Interrupted Revolutions: Farmers, Students, Law, and Violence in Northern Thailand by Tyrell Haberkorn, Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, Vol.44, No.1, 2013.
Research awards and grants
- Oxford Fell Fund Research Grant.
- Kyoto CSEAS Visiting Research Fellowship.
- All Souls Public Life Research Grant.
- Oxford All Souls Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship.
- Society for Urban, National, and Transnational Anthropology (SUNTA) Graduate Essay Prize (2012).
- Cora-DuBois Dissertation Writing Fellowship, Cora-Dubois Foundation (2012).
- Graduate Society Dissertation Completion Fellowship, Harvard University (2012).
- Research Grant, William E. Braden 1941 Fund, Harvard Asia Center.
- Summer Research Grant, Teschmacher Fund, Harvard Asia Center.
- Research Grant, Geographic Analysis Center, Harvard University.
- Merit-Time Fellowship, Harvard University (2011).
- Dissertation Fieldwork Grant, Wenner-Gren Foundation (2009).
- International Dissertation Research Fellowship, Social Science Research Council (2009).
- Sheldon Dissertation Fellowship, Harvard University.
- ENITS Fellowship, Chulalongkorn University.
- Pre-dissertation Fellowship, Harvard Asia Center.
- Distinction of Excellence for General Exams, Harvard University.
- Language Development Grant, Harvard Asia Center.