Dr Fiona Burnell
Quondam Fellow since 2013
Fiona Burnell has continued her research in theoretical condensed matter physics, and has co-authored three published articles and three articles submitted for publication. She has also given seminars at Cambridge and Birmingham universities, and presented an invited talk at one conference. She runs a weekly Condensed Matter Theory seminar series, organised a two-day workshop on Topological Quantum Information in September 2012, and served on the scientific committee for a follow-up workshop in February 2013.
- Quondam Fellow, All Souls College (from 2013)
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 2009 to 2013)
- Postgraduate, Princeton University (from 2003 to 2009)
- Undergraduate, University of British Columbia, Canada (from 1997 to 2002)
- The physics of strongly correlated many-body systems, in particular topological phases of matter and frustrated magnetism and quantum magnets
- (with M. M. Parrish, N. R. Cooper, and S. L. Sondhi), ‘Devil’s staircase and supersolids in a one-dimensional dipolar Bose gas’, (accepted to Phys. Rev. B)
- (with B. A. Bernevig and D. P. Arovas), ‘Scenario for fractional quantum Hall effect in bulk isotropic materials’, Phys. Rev. B 79, 155310 (2009)
- (with Shoibal Chakravarty and S. L. Sondhi), ‘Monopole flux state on the pyrochlore lattice’, Phys. Rev. B 79, 144432 (2009)
- (with R. Shankar and S.L. Sondhi), ‘Flux Hamiltonians, Lie Algebras and Root Lattices with Minuscule Representations’, Ann. Phys., vol. 324, Issue 2 (2009), 267–95 [doi:10.1016/j.aop.2008.06.005]
- (with S.L. Sondhi), ‘Classified Antiferromagnetism on Torquato-Stillinger Packings’, Phys. Rev. B., 78, 024407 (2008)
- (with G. Kribs), ‘The Abundance of Kaluza-Klein Dark Matter with Co-Annhiltion’, Phys. Rev. D., 73, 015001 (2006)
Research awards and grants
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship (from 2005 to 2007).
- NSERC Julie Payette Postgraduate Scholarship (from 2003 to 2005).
- Joseph Henry Prize in Physics (from 2003 to 2004).