Professor Vaughan Lowe
QC, LLB, LLM, MA, PhD
Emeritus Fellow since 2012
My work has included matters such as the territorial status of and boundaries in the Caspian Sea; territorial conflicts in south-east Asia; rights of passage and navigation; jurisdictional questions in relation to competition laws; international law aspects of privatisation programmes; claims arising out of the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq; Fisheries disputes; investment disputes; and various aspects of independence and statehood negotiations. Other consultancy work includes provincial/federal continental shelf disputes; international merger regulation; extraterritorial application of US export controls, antitrust and securities laws; extradition; claims to fisheries zones. I conducted reviews of environmental implications of defence projects and is a trainer on the law of the sea and the laws of war for naval officers.
- Emeritus Fellow, All Souls College (from 2012)
- Chichele Professor of Public International Law (from 1999 to 2012)
- University Lecturer in Law, then Reader in International Law; Fellow of Corpus Christi College, University of Cambridge (from 1988 to 1999)
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, then Reader in Law, University of Manchester (from 1979 to 1988)
- Lecturer in Law, University of Wales, Cardiff (from 1973 to 1979)
- Undergraduate , University of Wales (from 1969 to 1973)
- Public International Law, including the settlement of international disputes, investment protection, and the Law of the Sea
- (ed. with Adam Roberts, Jennifer Welsh, and Dominik Zaum), The United Nations Security Council and War (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008).
- International Law (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007).
- (joint editor with J.R. Crawford), British Year Book of International Law, vol. LXXVII (2006) (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007).
- (with J.G. Collier), The Settlement of International Disputes (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999).
- (with R.R. Churchill), The Law of the Sea (1st edn. 1983; 2nd edn. 1983; 3rd edn. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1999).
- (ed. and contributor with M.R. Anderson, A.E. Boyle, and C. Wickremasinghe), The International Law Commission and the Future of International Law (London: British Institute of International and Comparative Law, 1998).
- (ed. with M. Fitzmaurice), Fifty Years of the International Court of Justice: Essays in Honour of Sir Robert Jennings (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996).
- (ed. with C. Warbrick), The United Nations and the Principles of International Law: Essays in Memory of Michael Akehurst (London: Routledge, 1994).
- (with R.J. Bragg), The Business of Licensing (Harlow: Longmans, 1989).
- Extraterritorial Jurisdiction: An Annotated Collection of Legal Materials (Cambridge: Grotius Publications, 1983).
Teaching and supervision
- Lectures on public international law, international dispute settlement, Law of the Sea
- Supervision of research students in international law
Other professional memberships and roles
- Judge, European Nuclear Energy Tribunal (from 2006)
- Barrister, Essex Court Chambers (from 1993)
- Associé, Institut de doit international
- Bencher, Gray’s Inn (2008)
- Joint Editor, British Yearbook of International Law (OUP)
- Joint Editor, Publications on Ocean Development (Brill)
- Joint Editor, Oxford Monographs in International Law
Research awards and grants
- Cavaler of the Ordinal National Serviciul Credincios (Knight of the Faithful Service National Order), (Romania, 2009).
- Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon (Japan 2008).