11 December 1942 - 1 January 2017
- Emeritus Fellow, All Souls College (from 2010 to 2017)
- Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 1984 to 2010)
- Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 1981 to 1984)
- Junior Research Fellow, All Souls College (from 1974 to 1981)
- Prize Fellow, All Souls College (from 1967 to 1974)
- Harkness Fellow, Columbia and Harvard Universities, USA (from 1965 to 1966)
- Undergraduate, Balliol College, Oxford (from 1961 to 1964)
- Reasons, persons, ethics, meta-ethics, epistemology, normativity, the
passage of time, systematic moral theories, Kant's ethics, contractualism,
consequentialism, pluralist common-sense morality, deontological
prohibitions, ontology, reality, existence, cosmogony, and what matters.
- On What Matters, 2 vols. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011 and 2013).
- Reasons and Persons (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1984).
- Visiting Professor of Philosophy, New York University, Harvard University, and Rutgers University