Professor Catherine Redgwell
BA (Hons), LLB, MSc
Quondam Fellow since 2022
My research interests fall broadly within the public international field, including international energy law and international environmental law. I am currently co-investigator in a cross-institutional two year (2012-2014) research project on Climate Geoengineering Governance (CGG) funded by the ESRC and AHRC, led from the Oxford Institute for Science, Innovation and Society.
- University Academic Fellow, All Souls College (from 2013)
- Professor of International Law, University College London (from 2004 to 2013)
- University Lecturer (until 2000), then Reader in Public International Law and Yamani Fellow in Law, St Peter's College, Oxford (from 1999 to 2003)
- Senior Lecturer in Law, University of Nottingham (from 1994 to 1999)
- Lecturer in Law, University of Nottingham (from 1990 to 1994)
- Lecturer in Law, University of Manchester (from 1987 to 1990)
- Postgraduate, London School of Economics (from 1984 to 1985)
- Articled Clerk, Ladner Downs (now Borden Ladner Gervais LLP) (from 1984 to 1985)
- Postgraduate, University of British Columbia, Canada (from 1981 to 1984)
- Undergraduate, University of Winnipeg, Canada (from 1978 to 1981)
- Public international law, in particular international environmental law and international energy law
- (with L. Rajamani), 'Energy Underground: What’s International Law Got To Do With It?' in D. Zillman, A. McHarg, L. Barrera-Hernandez and A. Bradbrook (eds.), Energy Underground: Innovative Law and Policy for Transformative Technologies (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- 'The Wrong Trousers: State Responsibility and International Environmental Law' , in P. Koutrakos and M Evans (eds.), The International Responsibility of the European Union – European and International Perspectives (Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2013), pages 257-274.
- 'Geoengineering the Climate: Technological Solutions to Mitigation Failure or Continuing Carbon Addiction?', Carbon and Climate Law Review, 17(2012), pages 178-189.
- (with M. Bowman and P. Davies), Lyster's International Wildlife Law (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition, 2010).
- (with P.Birnie and A. Boyle) International Law & the Environment (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 3rd edition, 2009).
- 'International Energy Law', in M. Roggenkamp, C. Redgwell, I. del Guayo and A. Ronne (eds.), Energy Law in Europe: National EU and International Regulation (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2nd edition, 2007; 3rd edition, forthcoming).
- Joint Editor, British Year Book of International Law
- Co-Editor, Oxford Monographs in International Law
- Member, International Bar Association Presidential Task Force on Climate Change Justice and Human Rights
- Member, Academic Advisory Group, Section on Energy, Environment, Infrastructure and Natural Resources Law of the International Bar Association
- Council Member, British Branch of the International Law Association
- Member, Public International Law Advisory Committee, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Member, EuTrace Project Advisory Board, European Trans-disciplinary Assessment of Climate Engineering
- Co-Director, Oxford Geoengineering Programme, Oxford Martin School
- Co-investigator (at UCL) in a cross-institutional two year research project on Climate Geoengineering Governance (CGG) funded by the ESRC and AHRC with the Universities of Oxford and Sussex. (from 2012 to 2014).