Professor Peter Wilson
BA (Hons), PhD, FRHistS
University Academic Fellow since 2015
Chichele Professor of the History of War, University of Oxford
- University Academic Fellow, All Souls College (from 2015)
- GF Grant Professor of History, University of Hull (from 2007 to 2015)
- National War College, Washington DC: participation on 6200 War and Statecraft (September 2011)
- MA Summer School and PG workshops, High Point University, North Carolina, USA (June-August 2011)
- Visiting Fellow, Excellence Cluster, University of Münster, Germany (January 2011)
- Professor of Early Modern History, University of Sunderland (from 2001 to 2006)
- Reader in Early Modern European History, University of Sunderland (from 1998 to 2001)
- Lecturer in Early Modern European History, University of Newcastle (from 1994 to 1998)
- Lecturer in Modern European History, University of Sunderland (from 1990 to 1993)
- History of war in wider European and world development from the seventeenth century to around 1900
- Early modern German history, particularly the political, military, social, and cultural history of the Holy Roman Empire between 1495 and 1806
- The Holy Roman Empire: A Thousand Years of Europe’s History (Penguin, 2016) published in the US by Harvard University Press as The Heart of Europe: A History of the Holy Roman Empire (2016). Chinese translation forthcoming with Citic. Italian translation forthcoming with Il Saggiatore (Milan).
- (with Robert Evans) The Holy Roman Empire, 1495-1806: A European Perspective (Leiden: Brill, 2012).
- (with Robert Evans and Michael Schaich) The Holy Roman Empire, 1495-1806 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011).
- The Holy Roman Empire 1495-1806 (Studies in European History Series) (entirely revised 2nd ed., Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2011).
- The Thirty Years War: A Sourcebook (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2010).
- Europe’s Tragedy: A History of the Thirty Years War (London: Allen Lane/Penguin, 2009). Also published as The Thirty Years War: Europe’s Tragedy by Harvard University Press, 2009. Polish translation forthcoming with F.H.U. Napoleon V Dariusz Marszalek (Oswiecim) 2016; Chinese translation forthcoming with Post Wave (Beijing); Macedonian translation forthcoming with ARS Studio, sponsored by the Macedonian Ministry of Culture.
- (with Alan Forrest) The Bee and the Eagle: Napoleonic France and the end of the Holy Roman Empire, 1806 (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2009).
- A Companion to Eighteenth-Century Europe (Oxford: Blackwell, 2008; paperback edition 2013).
- Warfare in Europe 1815-1914 (International Library of Military History) (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006).
- 1848. The Year of Revolutions (International Library of Essays in Political History) (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006).
- From Reich to Revolution: German history 1558-1806 (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2004).
- Absolutism in Central Europe (Historical Connections Series) (London: Routledge, 2000).
- The Holy Roman Empire 1495-1806 (Studies in European History Series) (Basingstoke: Macmillan Press, 1999; New York: St Martin’s Press, 1999); Chinese translation (Beijing: Peking University Press, 2013); Japanese translation (Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten Publishing, 2005).
- German armies: War and German politics 1648-1806 (London: UCL Press, 1998).
- War, state and society in Württemberg, 1677-1793 (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern History) (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1995).
Teaching and supervision
- War in seventeenth to nineteenth century world history
- Social, cultural, political or military history of German-speaking Europe
- European history 1500-1800
Other professional memberships and roles
- Editorial boards of War and Society and British Journal of Military History
- Series Editor (with Sarah Badcock and Julian Jackson) of Studies in European History (Palgrave)
- Convenor of the North of England Consortium for Arts and Humanities of Bradford, Huddersfield, Hull, Leeds Beckett, Sheffield Hallam and Teesside universities (from 2014 to 2015)
- Convenor of the Heritage Consortium AHRC Centre for Doctoral Training of Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds Beckett, Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam, Teesside universities led by the University of Hull supported by £1,845,820 from the AHRC, plus £1.1m match-funding (from 2013 to 2015)
- External assessor for the German Government Higher Education research funding programme Initiative for Excellence (2012) and (2007) (German equivalent of the REF)
- Director of Research and Deputy Head of Department at Hull (similar roles at Sunderland) (from 2008 to 2015)
- Co-curator with Dr Thomas Biskup of 'Great Britain, America and the Atlantic World', a section of the Friederisiko - Frederick the Great exhibition at the Neues Palais Potsdam, Germany, 28 April to 28 October 2012 (Stiftung Preußischer Schlößer und Gärten)
Research awards and grants
- 'The causes of the Thirty Years War 1618-48' named one of the English Historical Review’s '35 most respected articles' (2011).
- Society for Military History Distinguished Book Award for Europe’s Tragedy (2011).
- Europe’s Tragedy named Paperback of the Week by the Sunday Times, 11.7.10 (2010).
- Europe’s Tragedy named a Book of the Year by the New Statesman and The Atlantic, a Best History Book of the Year by The Independent, and a Choice Outstanding Academic Title of the Year