Professor Simon Swain
Professor and Head of Department of Classics and Ancient History, University of Warwick
Quondam Fellow since 2010
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Arts and Social Sciences, University of Warwick (from 2014)
- Chair of the Faculty of Arts, University of Warwick (from 2011 to 2014)
- Quondam Fellow, All Souls College (from 2010)
- Senior Lecturer, Classics and Ancient History Department, University of Warwick (from 1997 to 1999)
- Research Fellow (1995-7), Classics and Ancient History Department, University of Warwick (from 1995 to 1997)
- Fifty-Pound Fellow, All Souls College (from 1996 to 2010)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, All Souls College (from 1990 to 1995)
- Greek culture and society of the Roman period, the later Roman Empire, the legacy of Greek thought in Islam
- Economy, Family, and Society from Rome to Islam. A Critical Edition, English Translation, and Study of Bryson’s “Management of the Estate” (2013)
- Themistius, Julian, and Greek Political Theory under Rome. Texts, Translations, and Studies of Four Key Works (2013)
- Seeing the Face, Seeing the Soul: Polemon’s Physiognomy from Classical Antiquity to Medieval Islam (2007)
- Severan Culture (with J. Elsner and S. J. Harrison) (2007)
- Approaching Late Antiquity (with M. J. Edwards) (2004)
- Bilingualism in Ancient Society (with J. N. Adams) (2002)
- Dio Chrysostom: Politics, Letters, and Philosophy (2000)
- Oxford Readings in the Greek Novel (1999)
- Portraits: Biographical Representation in the Greek and Latin Literature of the Roman Empire (with M. J. Edwards) (1997)
- Hellenism and Empire: Language, Classicism and Power in the Greek World, AD 50-250 (1996)
- Fellow of the British Academy (H3)
- Wellcome Trust: Senior Investigator Award for edition, translation, and commentary on Ibn Abī Usaybiʿa’s history of physicians; joint with Emilie Savage Smith; RAs: Ignacio Sanchez, Peter Joosse, Bruce Inksetter (from 2013 to 2017).
- Wellcome Trust: Fellowship on Galen’s commentaries in Arabic on Epidemics Bk 6; awardee U. Vagelpohl (from 2012 to 2018).
- AHRC research grant on Nemesius’ On the Nature of Man; RA: P. Starr (from 2008 to 2011).
- Wellcome Trust project grant on Galen’s commentaries in Arabic on Epidemics; RAs: U. Vagelpohl, B. Hallum (from 2008 to 2011).
- AHRC research grant on Greco-Islamic philosophy; RA: E. Wakelnig (from 2007 to 2010).
- Leverhulme Trust: Major Research Fellowship on Greco-Roman and Islamic oeconomics (from 2007 to 2010).
- Wellcome Trust: University Award on Greek and Islamic medicine; awardee P. E. Pormann (from 2006 to 2011).
- RCUK Academic Fellowship in Italian Humanism; awardee M. Vanhaelen (from 2006 to 2011).
- Greco-Roman and Islamic physiognomy; RAs: R. Hoyland, I. Repath (from 1999 to 2001).